Are you in Barcelona for Christmas? Good news, you have plenty of things to do for this end of the year! I strongly recommend that you don’t miss any of these beautiful or stunning churches!
1 – Catedral de Barcelona
Located in the gothic quarter, the Cathedral of Barcelona – also called the Catedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulàlia – was built over the old Romanesque cathedral during the 13th to the 15th century. It is also the seat of the Archbishop of Barcelona. You will be amazed by its imposing facade in neo gothic style. It needs to be viewed inside in order to fully understand its splendour.
- Where ? Jaume I station (l. 4)
- Tip for Christmas : Each year for Christmas, you can also enjoy the beautiful market of Santa Llúcia in front of the cathedral. Important choice of items for Christmas decoration.
2- THE ABBEY OF MONTSERRAT
On the beautiful mountain of Montserrat, at one hour from Barcelona, go to visit the Benedictine abbey. You will discover how impressive it can be, listen the choir of the Escolania (Boy´s Choir), taste local products as cheese or honey, and maybe touch the Black Madonna´s hand as all local people do.
- Easy to go there : By bus from Plaza Catalunya, go directly to the Monastery by booking tours in English or in French.
- Tip : Mass of Christmas : The 24th of december at 23h30 and the 25th of december at 11h with the Escolania.
- Also :Read 17 reasons to visit Montserrat and The voices of the Sanctuary: Escolania de Montserrat.
3- THE SAGRADA FAMILIA TEMPLE
Of course, this is the one of the most famous, and of course you came to visit it. You are absolutely right.
One of the Gaudi’s most incredible works, breathtaking, the Sagrada Familia (the Holy family) is a church started in 1882 and still unfinished. You will recognize it by its many towers (8 already built, 18 in project in total!), three facades full of symbolism, (The Passion Facade, the Glory Facade, and Nativity Facade) and its interior full of stunning stain glass windows.
A place to learn about the amazing Gaudi´s work.
- Where? At the Sagrada Familia station (l 2 – l 5)
- Tips for Christmas:
4 – SANTA MARIA DEL MAR (Cathedral of the Sea)
In the Born area of Barcelona, the Cathedral del Mar is one of the best example of the Catalan gothic architecture. Built in the 14th century, purity and unity of style make it very special for being a medieval building. One of the most beautiful churches in Barcelona.
- Where ? Jaume Ier station (l. 4)
- Tip for Christmas : You can participate in midnight mass on Christmas´Eve at the Santa Maria del Mar church where just before midnight you can hear the 5 minute “El cant de la Sibil·la” very well known in the churches of Mallorca and Barcelona.
- Know more about in a book about the cathedral.
5 – SANTA MARIA DEL PI
14th century gothic church, the Cathedral del Pi is located in the Gothic area, on the Plaza del Pi. The most impressive part of this church is without any doubt its amazing great rose window on its main facade, one of the world’s largest Gothic rose windows with a diameter of 10 metres.
- Where ? Liceu station (l. 3)
- Tip best view : Spectacular 360-degree views from the heart of the Gothic Quarter. You must climb 269 steps to get to the top of the bell tower, but it is certainly worth it. one of the world’s largest Gothic rose windows with a diameter of 10 metres.
- Tip for Christmas – Do not miss the mass :
- 24&31 of December : at 12h00 and 20h30.
- 25 of December and 1st of January : at 12h and 18h.